Gentl & Hyers
Apple Custard Pie
Prep: 35 mins
Total: 2 hr 25 mins
Serves 8, Makes one 9-inch pie
- 1Make the crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Arrange a 1/2-inch-thick layer of kataifi into the bottom and up and over the sides of a 9-inch pie plate (it will shrink during baking); brush all over with melted butter. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, make the caramelized apples: Melt butter in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple wedges and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and caramelized, about 40 minutes. Transfer apples to a medium bowl.
- 3Make the caramel: Add sugar to skillet. Cook over high heat until sugar dissolves and turns medium amber. Remove skillet from heat. Slowly and carefully stir in cream (it will bubble and steam as you add it).
- 4Cover bottom of crust with 3/4 cup caramelized apples. Drizzle apples with 2 tablespoons caramel.
- 5Make the custard: Whisk to gether egg and yolk in a medium bowl. Bring milk, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add semolina flour, whisking constantly, until mixture starts to bubble, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, and slowly whisk one third of the semolina mixture into egg mixture. Return entire mixture to saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, until thick, about 30 seconds.
- 6Pour custard over caramelized apples into crust. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Top with remaining caramelized apples just before serving. Drizzle top of pie with some caramel (reheat if needed). Serve immediately.
For the Crust
- 3 ounces frozen kataifi (shredded phyllo), thawed (1 cup packed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Caramelized Apples
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 baking apples, such as Pink Lady, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the Caramel
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Custard
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semolina flour