Prep: 30 mins
Total: 45 mins
Makes about 3 dozen
- 1In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Gently fold milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in apples.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 2 inches of oil in a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat until a thermometer registers 350º. Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
- 3Working in batches, drop heaping tablespoons of dough into oil. (A small ice cream scoop works especially well for creating uniform-size fritters.) Cook, turning once, until puffed and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to rack with a slotted spoon. Let cool slightly, dust with confectioners’ sugar, and serve.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sweet apples, such as Rome, McIntosh, or Gala, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- Safflower oil, for frying
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting