Baked Cinnamon-Raisin French Toast
- 1Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Dip brioche in egg mixture, then arrange in dish, overlapping slightly and sprinkling raisins between slices. Pour remaining egg mixture over brioche and let stand 30 minutes or refrigerate up to overnight. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Bake until puffed and custard is just set in center, 55 to 65 minutes (tent with foil, if browning too quickly). Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for baking dish
- 8 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 10 1/2-inch-thick slices brioche (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
Top off this version with a sprinkle of confectioners' sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup.
For Chocolate and Cherry French Toast: Swap raisins for 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries.
For Peanut Butter and Jam French Toast: Spread 1 side of 5 brioche slices with 1/4 cup peanut butter and 1 side of 5 slices with 1/2 cup raspberry jam. Arrange filling side down. Omit sugar, cinnamon, and raisins.
For Broccoli and Cheese French Toast: Swap brioche for rustic bread. Swap sugar and cinnamon for 6 ounces shredded pepper Jack, 3/4 cup chopped cilantro, and 1/2 cup sliced scallions. Swap raisins for 2 cups broccoli florets.