Braised Chicken Legs in Sauerkraut
Prep: 20 mins
Total: 1 hr
- 1Preheat oven to 375°. Season chicken on all sides with salt. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; swirl in oil. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 4 minutes a side. Transfer to a plate.
- 2Add onion to skillet. Cook, scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in carrots and sauerkraut until well combined.
- 3Transfer sauerkraut mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Nestle chicken legs in mixture, cover with parchment-lined foil, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to 425°, and bake until top is lightly caramelized and a thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken legs (without touching bone) registers 165°, about 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken legs
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 cups store-bought sauerkraut