Crisp-Skinned Chicken with Rosemary Potatoes
Prep: 20 mins
Total: 1 hr 45 mins
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender, 11 to 13 minutes. Drain. Return potatoes to pot, and shake over low heat to dry and fluff. Coat with oil, and season with salt
- 2Mix together 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the cornstarch. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Rub skin with butter, and season with salt mixture. Stuff some rosemary into cavity. Pile remaining rosemary on a rimmed baking sheet.
- 3Place chicken, breast side up, on rosemary, and tuck wings under. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Scatter potatoes around chicken. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and flip potatoes. Return to oven, rotating sheet. Roast until chicken juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reaches 165 degrees, about 30 minutes more. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving. If potatoes aren't golden, toss with rosemary, and return to oven.
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise, 3/4 inch thick
- Coarse salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small bunch fresh rosemary