Prep: 15 mins
Total: 45 mins
- 1Preheat a waffle iron on the highest setting. Mix together yolks, flour, sour cream, cornmeal, and baking soda. Stir in buttermilk, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir butter into batter (do not overmix).
- 2Beat whites with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir half into batter. Gently fold in remaining whites with a rubber spatula.
- 3Coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour a heaping cup batter into center of waffle iron (batter should spread to edges without overflowing). Close lid, and cook until waffle is golden and crisp, about 6 minutes.
- 4Remove waffle from iron. Quickly toss between your hands to release steam and help retain crispness, and serve. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 2 large eggs, separated, plus 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil cooking spray, for waffle iron