Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- 1Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan or heatproof glass dish. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on two sides. Set aside. Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water; stir frequently until chocolate and butter are melted, about 7 minutes. Remove bowl from heat; let cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Stir sugar into cooled chocolate mixture until combined. Whisk in eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in vanilla. Gently fold in flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan, and smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3Run a knife or offset spatula around the edges of the pan. Using parchment, lift brownies out of pan and onto the rack. Transfer to a cutting board; cut into 2-inch squares. Brownies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar