Inside-Out Stuffed Chicken with Mushroom Dressing
Prep: 25 mins
Total: 1 hr 35 mins
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Cook onion, celery, and garlic until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from skillet. Working in 2 batches, cook mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter. Add to onion mixture.
- 2Stir in bread, stock, lemon juice, and sage. Season with salt and pepper. Return to skillet.
- 3Place chicken, breast side up, on stuffing, and tuck wings under. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Rub skin with softened butter, and season with salt.
- 4Roast for 30 minutes. Rotate skillet, and roast chicken until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reaches 165 degrees, about 30 minutes more. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon, softened
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups day-old rustic-bread cubes (1 inch)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 1/2 pounds)
To dry the bread, leave it out overnight or bake in a 250-degree oven for 15 minutes.