Prep: 55 mins
Total: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1Using your hands, gently mix together pork, beef, breadcrumbs, pecorino, salt, eggs, garlic, and parsley in a large bowl. Form mixture into 2-inch balls.
- 2Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cook, turning, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate.
- 3Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and basil; simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Return meatballs and any juices to pan. Simmer, turning meatballs once, until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- 4Heat broiler. Arrange mozzarella on top of meatballs. Broil until melted, 2 to 3 minutes; serve.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef (85 percent lean)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated pecorino
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, pureed
- 4 leaves fresh basil (optional)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced