One Pot Seafood Orzo Risotto
Prep: 45 mins
Total: 1 hr
- 1Preheat broiler with rack 8 inches from heat source. Heat oil in a large ovenproof braiser or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, and fennel; sauté, stirring occasionally, until just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in vermouth and saffron and cook 1 minute more.
- 2Add orzo, clam juice, and broth; bring to a simmer. Stir in mussels and simmer, stirring frequently, until almost all liquid is absorbed and orzo is al dente, about 9 minutes.
- 3Season shrimp and squid with salt and add to braiser with cockles, scattering throughout and nestling into orzo mixture. Broil 5 minutes. Season fish with salt and tuck into mixture. Broil until seafood is cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes, top with parsley, and serve.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 bulb fennel, cored and chopped (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 pound orzo
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 mussels
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp (about 16), deveined
- 1/2 pound squid, cut into rings
- 1 pound cockles or other small clams
- 1 pound halibut or other meaty white fish, cut into chunks
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for serving