Roasted Chicken with Dates, Citrus, and Olives
Prep: 35 mins
Total: 1 hr
- 1Preheat oven to 450°. In a large roasting pan, season chicken with salt and pepper; drizzle with oil. Squeeze lemon and orange over chicken, then add fruit to pan. Add wine, orange juice, half of dates, and thyme. Roast 25 minutes.
- 2Remove pan from oven; rotate chicken pieces if browning unevenly. Add olives and remaining dates. Roast until a thermometer inserted in chicken breast (avoiding bone) registers 160°, about 15 minutes more. Transfer chicken and citrus to a platter.
- 3Place roasting pan over high heat, mashing some of dates with the back of a wooden spoon, until sauce is reduced and thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour over chicken; serve.
- 1 whole chicken (about 5 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 orange, quartered, plus 1/2 cup fresh juice (from 2 to 3 oranges)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 12 large soft dates, such as medjool or khadrawi, halved and pitted
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup large green olives, such as Cerignola