Shrimp and Andouille Potpies
Prep: 35 mins
Total: 1 hr 10 mins
Serves 8, Makes eight 4-inch potpies
- 1Make the filling: Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook leeks until soft but not brown, about 7 minutes. Add sausage and garlic, and cook until sausage cooks through and garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour to combine.
- 2Add vermouth. Let cook for 1 minute. Add stock and potatoes, and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 4 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook until opaque, about 1 minute. Let cool. Divide filling among eight 4-inch (12-ounce) ramekins.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make the topping: Roll out puff pastry to a 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 8 circles that are 1 inch wider than the ramekins; cut a 1/2-inch vent hole in the middle of each. Freeze on a baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- 4Top ramekins with frozen puff pastry, and brush with egg wash. Bake until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling, about 20 minutes.
For the Filling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, quartered lengthwise, chopped, and rinsed well
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dry vermouth
- 4 cups fish stock
- 2 medium Red Bliss potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound 8 ounces rock shrimp
For the Topping
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) frozen puff pastry, preferably Dufour, thawed
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
Freezing the puff pastry rounds before baking them atop the ramekins helps them to puff into crisp coverings.