Prep: 30 mins
Total: 1 hr
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season chicken on both sides with salt and paprika. Heat an ovenproof 12-inch skillet or shallow braising pan over medium-high heat. Swirl in oil. Working in 2 batches, add chicken to pan and cook until well browned, about 2 minutes on each side, adding more oil as needed. Transfer chicken as it is browned to a plate.
- 2Reduce heat to low and stir in garlic, then tomato paste, scraping up browned bits in pan with a wooden spoon. Return chicken to skillet, increase heat to high, and pour in vinegar. Boil, stirring, until reduced to a glaze.
- 3Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Add peppers and olives. Transfer to oven and braise until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast (do not touch bone) reaches 160 degrees and liquid is reduced by half, 20 to 25 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 jarred marinated piquillo peppers, cut into strips (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish