Tofu and Sweet Potato Poached in Dashi
Prep: 30 mins
Total: 40 mins
- 1Combine kombu, mushrooms, and 2 quarts water in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Discard kombu. Remove mushrooms; when cool enough to handle, thinly slice and return to simmering liquid. Whisk in miso.
- 2Add sweet potato to poaching liquid and cook, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain broth temperature at 190° on a thermometer, until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from heat and stir in tatsoi. Gently add tofu, trying to not break pieces.
- 3Meanwhile, bring 1 1/2 inches water to a simmer in a large, deep skillet. Crack 1 egg into a small bowl. Holding bowl just above surface of water, gently pour egg into skillet. Repeat with remaining eggs. Poach, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, just until whites are firm and yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a clean towel. Divide soup and vegetables among bowls; add one egg to each. Season with pepper and serve.
- 1 12-by-3-inch sheet kombu (dried seaweed), broken in half
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons miso paste, preferably shiro
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, halved, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups lightly packed tatsoi, or spinach
- 8 ounces silken tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs